Follow by Email

Sunday, 6 July 2014

Complicated Bobby

Oh Bobby, Bobby - how to describe Bobby?  He's my favourite part in Complicated Pleasures - he is the part I wrote for myself, only I'm not playing him in this production.  More on that in another post.  Bobby is a professional stalker, who pops up in a fair number of scenes, often hiding in plain sight - only to leap out to take pictures, steal underwear and generally be a bit weird - in a nice way.  He is, in his own weird way, the most honest of all the characters in the play.  Here's a piece of stage direction which (sadly) won't quite happen as I would like, but gives you an idea.

BOBBY appears from his hiding place or at a window – be inventive – and takes a photo.  In my ideal version he would descend on a wire, but I think that’ll be beyond most producers.  He disappears again.

I'd like to put him in every scene at some point - but it a gag can get gratuitous after a while.
He's being playing by Professor Kaos.  Yes, that's his name - or, at least, the only name I've ever got out of him.  I worked with Kaos on a couple of projects last year and I'm looking forward to his stalking me in two weeks time.
Sadly, I forgot to take a picture of him pretending to rehearse to our one to one meeting on Friday - so here's a picture of a penguin instead.

Bobby - or rather, not.
Complicated Pleasures: A Modern Sex Comedy by Robert Crighton performs at the Quay Theatre on Monday 21st July at 7.30pm - tickets available online at www.quaytheatre.org.uk or over the phone on 01787 374 745

No comments:

Post a Comment