Follow by Email

Friday, 11 July 2014

Complicated Maxine

I meant to post this yesterday, but I was busy. So I didn't.  That's just the way I roll sometimes.  I was rehearsing this section one morning, travelled to London, did a show, came back and the next day I was knackered.  Alright, I'm sorry.  Stop accusing me with your electronic stares.

Actually, while we're on the subject of going to London, I should mention a bit about it.  I was doing The Shakespeare Delusion for the Face to Face Festival - a festival for solo performance held at the LOST Theatre, which I've done a couple of times now (in fact, the last time I did it was the day before I was hospitalised - how I got to London, did a show, and came home again in the state I was in, goodness only knows!) and it was one of my better performances.  I haven't done the show for a month, so it wasn't fresh, and I was worried it would be flat.  I don't know if was diminishing blood sugar levels or something similar, but something different came out in that performance.  There was more lostness, more despair, more fear.  It was, all in all, good.  And the next night I went to see King Lear at the Theatre Royal, Bury St Edmunds - the Globe on Tour - which was appropriate, as The Shakespeare Delusion is very much a mini King Lear in the presentation of a descent into madness.  Rounded off those two days nicely.

Anyway, back to the point of the post (Complicated Pleasures I may have mentioned it before), on Wednesday the penultimate pre-rehearsal meeting occurred with Gemma - who's playing the part of Maxine.  Maxine has a particular journey in the play - unlike most other characters who appear reasonably normal at the start and peel off in layers of weirdness, Maxine starts the play as a self obsessed bitch and reveals something human underneath later on.  She is the mother of Simon - who is a small child played by a ventriloquists dummy - and has helped make him the child he is.  A Midwich Cuckoo.  Except his eyes are not gold and shiny.
It's a great comic role and Gemma gets to play against Paul Vella - who was her sparring partner in Much Ado About Nothing last year, when they were Beatrice and Benedick - so their scenes together will make sparks fly.

As usual here is pictorial evidence that this meeting took place.



Complicated Pleasures: A Modern Sex Comedy by Robert Crighton performs at the Quay Theatre on Monday 21st July at 7.30pm - tickets available online at www.quaytheatre.org.uk or over the phone on 01787 374 745

No comments:

Post a Comment