Sunday 24 September 2017

Martin Hewitt, Investigator

Many years ago I did readings of the complete canon of Sherlock Holmes - the whole lot - as a series of readings during the last proper winter we had in the UK.  It didn't stop snowing during the run, and it hasn't really snowed since, so I can only conclude that climate change is connected with incidence of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  Or massive amounts of industrial pollution.  One of the two.
Anyway, I've not done anything similar since, but I've had a hankering to do more - though not Mr Holmes as he's a trademark and I refuse to pay money for work that is in the public domain.
That meant looking for a similarly dead, suitably dead, author - and Arthur Morrison sprung up before me.  Of the same sort of time and similar genre, he created two rather good detective characters, Martin Hewitt and Dorrington.  I would rather have started with Dorrington, a wonderfully psychopathic creation, but the narrator is Australian and that's a little beyond me at present.  I've put him to one side for a while and I think I might do a full cast audio adaptation of his stories later instead.  Suggestions on a postcard.  Martin Hewitt is much more suited to what I need at the moment, a good set of stories for performance that I can get cracking on straight away.  I intend to blog about each story as I release them, as there are lots of interesting things that emerge from this late Victorian world - little questions and quirks of language and phrasing that tickle my curiosity bone.
If you're a patron then you'll get the first story from Martin Hewitt, Investigator on Wednesday (if not, you'll have to wait, but it's easy to sign up for here).  It's called The Lenton Croft Robberies and features the mysterious appearance of burnt matches.  I've already recorded the second mystery, but I don't know when I will release that quite yet.

My work couldn't happen without the support of my patrons - if you think you could contribute to the work I create, go to www.patreon.com/robertcrighton and see if you can help - you get to listen to my new work before anyone else.  It's like audible, just cheaper and with no control over the content of your next listen. But you can download and keep my work forever.
Also, as there's a lot being planned at the moment, if you want to keep up to speed, why not join my mailing list.  I know, so last century. 

Subscribe to my mailing list

* indicates required

No comments:

Post a Comment